Thursday, April 21, 2011

Up and running!

"Wonder at something.  Invite others to wonder at it with you."

  This is me, wondering about philanthropy.  I'm inviting you to wonder about it with me or maybe read about me wondering.

  I find the realm of philanthropy interesting, it's a mix of science, math, international relations, and humanities.  Often I think we just see the humanities or the social side of giving.  There is so much more.  The web is teeming with information on nonprofits, philanthropy, social media, and the intersection of all three.  I plan to use this blog to narrate my research and my experience in those crossroads.

  With the onslaught of information, ideas, and best practices, there is much to learn about philanthropy and the workings of different nonprofits.  The discovery of how a nonprofit operates is essential (think Greg Mortenson and the Central Asia Institute scandal).  At the crux of it all, is you, the donor, giving money.  But, as you wouldn't go see an oncologist without knowing his credentials, reputation, success rate, you shouldn't blindly give to a charity.  Too often this is what we do.  I see it as our duty to donate in a specific, concerted, objective manner.  This blog will hopefully chronicle my attempts to achieve that objective.

  With that, I plan to keep a log of research, findings, and information on nonprofits.  The ultimate goal being to give $2,000.00 by December 31st to a chosen charity.  Through blog postings hopefully I can explain in a logical, almost scientific manner, how I ended up choosing the nonprofit I did.

  Let the journey begin!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea, I'm sorry I'm a little late catching up on this but I'm looking forward to reading all about it!

    ReplyDelete